20 December 2011

Book Review: Shelter by Mickey Bolitar

The first in the Mickey Bolitar series, the "nephew" of Myron Bolitar who is the hero of so many of Harlan Coben's previous novels. As I understand it, this is supposed to be aimed at children but I enjoyed the read as well even as an adult in my 50's.

I read this on holiday in New York and it was a lightly written read, and I mean that in the sense that it gave the impression of a teenager's mind but by the pen of a master writer.

Mickey is haunted by the death of his father and the pain of this and dealing with his seemingly overbearing and unwanted uncle Myron. He starts a new school and the first friend he makes disappears mysteriously. In his efforts to find her, Mickey teams up with three other slightly dysfunctional teenagers to track her down.

We are soon in the world of human trafficing and Mickey takes the situation on to help recover his friend. Myron is often there to lend a helping hand too.

8/10 for me.

No comments: